Monday, August 13, 2007

The Supermarket

Some things are bigger than saving and spending...
I went to the market, where I struggled with parking
Where, once in the door, I was tired from walking
I saw lines of people and waits with no ending
All here for low prices and endless selection
With grocery, clothing, a pharmacy section
Housewares, electrics, salon... garden-trimming?
They bought out the businesses near all the poor
It's easy: small businesses charge a bit more
While supermarkets can afford better vending
You're led to believe that they do us a favor
Meanwhile, in the third world, exploiting cheap labor
Here, elderly working as greeters... just lemmings
Holding two items, even with money I felt poor
For not spending more when I'm in such a big store
Still, I felt congested, no room for extending
The beautiful people stood shoulder to shoulder
Some people impatient, some people were older
I caught a young mother not far from me grinning
...Some things are bigger than saving and spending

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2005,2006 Greater Augusta Productions